Monday 5 January 2015

2014 Favourites!

Monday 5 January 2015
Hey guys,

I know that once again, I'm a little bit late, but I thought I'd share with you guys some of my favourite products of 2014. Of course there are heaps of other products I love that I didn't include in this post - I just tried to include the things I find myself constantly reaching for and constantly repurchasing over and over again.





Urban Decay Primer Potion

Before I tried this, I didn't realise an eye primer could actually make so much difference to your makeup. It holds all your eye makeup in place LITERALLY overnight, and if you suffer from smudged eye makeup and oily eyelids, this is definitely the product for you!


MAC 217 Brush

If I could only have one eyeshadow brush, this would be it. It was the first MAC brush I ever got and it is honestly the best eyeshadow blending brush I've ever used. It's the perfect size and shape for both putting down colour and blending. However, if you're on a budget, Coastal Scents makes a very similar brush which is almost as good.


Real Techniques Stippling Brush

I've tried a plethora of foundation brushes and this one is by far my favourite. I don't know what it is, but it somehow provides the best coverage and best finish my makeup without me even having to try. I use it to apply my liquid foundation with a combination of stippling and buffing motions and it just works so well! This has taken the place of my Expert Face brush and Buffing Brush!


Revlon ColorStay Foundation (150 Buff Chamois)

What can I say, I've talked about this foundation so many times before. For me it just provides the perfect coverage and finish, is decently priced and has the perfect range of shades to suit me. It's the only foundation (other than Estee Lauder Double Wear) which covers imperfections properly and stays in place all day. 


Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Facial Moisturiser (SPF 15)

I know this isn't very fancy, but sometimes simple is exactly what your skin needs. This was recommended to me by a dermatologist, along with several other products from Neutrogena, as it's simple and gentle, and basically doesn't contain a whole lot of crap that your skin doesn't need. I like to apply this moisturiser in the morning before my makeup, because it sinks in nicely and doesn't leave the greasy feeling that some moisturisers do, whilst also protecting my skin. I also use the Sensitive Skin version of this (no SPF) at night. 


St Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub

I use this a few times a week (not every day), and what I love about this scrub compared to others, is that the texture actually exfoliates your skin and leaves it feeling smoother afterwards. I hate scrubs that contain the little beads that dissolve as soon as they make contact with water, but this one stays nice and... scrubby until you rinse it off. The smell is also a bonus!


Bondi Sands Gradual Tanning Milk

This is my favourite gradual tanning product. In fact, because I'm so lazy, this is probably my favourite tanning product in general. Easy to use, adds a bit of colour to your skin, doesn't have an unpleasant smell, dries quickly and is non-greasy. Read my full review here



L'Oreal Infallibe Eyeshadow (002 Hourglass Beige)

This eyeshadow/pressed pigment has the most amazing colour pay off, and is the perfect colour for all over the lid if you're pale like me, or even for highlighting the inner corner. I find this works best when applied with fingers. Fun fact - the L'Oreal group also owns Giorgio Armani, meaning that it's more than likely that these eyeshadows and the Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill pressed pigments are the same formulation!


Essence Long Lasting Eye Pencil (02 Hot Chocolate)

I've talked about this eyeliner in several posts as well. Personally I prefer using brown eyeliner over black because I feel it looks less harsh - especially on the bottom lashline/waterline. This eyeliner is great quality for the price - I'd highly recommend trying the Essence liners out.


Clinique Chubby Stick (11 Two Ton Tomato)

When I first saw this, I didn't think I'd use it very often - but I was wrong. Being a very lazy person, this lip colour is perfect for me because it's so low maintenance and easy to apply. It can be worn sheer or built up to a nice bright red, and the shade is just so flattering and perfect. It wears off evenly, leaving a bit of a stain on the lips, without looking disgusting.


Nivea Essential Care Lip Balm

Ever since my first tube of this, I haven't stopped using it. I'm definitely a bit of a lip balm junkie - I always have some with me no matter what. I find this particular one to be surprisingly hydrating for one that comes in a stick, and it wears off nicely without leaving an ugly white cast like some others do. It also doesn't really have a taste, which may come as a relief to anyone who has ever licked their lips only to discover a disgusting, bitter, waxy taste from their lip balm. I've gone through about 5 tubes of this in the last few months alone and would highly recommend it.


Benefit Hoola Bronzer

This bronzer is a cult favourite, and with good reason. It's a wonderful, multi-purpose product - I use it on every single client I have, for contouring OR bronzing. It's the perfect inbetween shade - not too grey and not too orange. It also looks lovely used as an eyeshadow, and the brush that comes with it is surprisingly good. Highly recommend!


So that's it for my favourites - I'd love to know what you guys were loving last year, or if you've tried any of the products I mentioned!


I also just wanted to say a huge thank you to everybody who has supported me during 2014, and beyond that. Thank you to everyone who has been reading this blog, following my Instagram, and thank you to all my friends who encouraged and supported me in my beauty school and freelancing endeavours. I love you all very much and I really appreciate it.

Here's to hoping that 2015 is an even better year, full of happiness and success. I thought I might share with you guys some of my goals for the coming year:

  • Keep on top of my grades
  • Find a job in the beauty industry
  • Save money
  • Get my license!!!
  • Travel/go on more adventures 
  • Blog more regularly
  • Read more books
  • Stress less about the small things

I'd love to hear some of your goals too! 

Good luck everyone, all the best for 2015 :)

3 comments:

  1. I love Nivea lip balms too! I have a whole stash but I really like the hydrocare one! Hope you would blog more Cara! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give that one a try! Thanks Nhi, I'll definitely try to keep up more this year ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeeeeee the St Ives scrub too! Indeed it is "scrubby" and my face feels so much cleaner after using it haha

    ReplyDelete

Cara Jade Makeup © 2014