Thursday 7 January 2016

2015 Favourites

Thursday 7 January 2016
I'm a creature of habit and tend to get into makeup ruts, reaching for the same products constantly, so monthly favourites posts aren't really something I do. However, over the past year I've managed to collect a decent bunch of tried and tested favourites to share with you guys. 


You'll most likely recognise some of these products from previous posts but let's jump straight in!

Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief
This moisturiser is great for oily skin because the lightweight gel formula dries down to a matte finish, yet still hydrates and smooths out any dry patches. The only downside to this product is the jar packaging, but I love the product enough to get past that. 

Mac Fix +
Not to be confused with a setting spray, this finishing mist is a great multi-use product. I love spraying this all over my face after "baking" to take away any powdery residue and help my blush/bronzer/highlight melt together seamlessly. I also use it do dampen my brush when I want more colour payoff from eyeshadows and highlighter, and to dampen my beauty blender when there's no tap nearby. 

Loving Tan 2hr Express - Medium
This is a very recent favourite given the fact I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, however after using it twice I can already tell I absolutely love it. I got the medium shade because I'm naturally super pale, and it comes out as a fairly dark but natural looking tan. I don't think the application or wear time of this tan is necessarily better than others that I've tried but the thing I really love is the convenience of leaving it on for just 2 hours.


Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
Anyone who follows my blog or Instagram will know how much I love this primer - I've never found anything else to work so well at evening out the skin, smoothing pores and imperfections, and helping makeup last. Read my full review here.


Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia Cologne
I love Jo Malone fragrances but this one is my most recent favourite. It's a fresh, fruity scent which is perfect for summer, and I love it mixed with Wood Sage & Sea Salt (which is next on my wishlist hehe). 


MAC Lipstick - Patisserie 
This was the second MAC lipstick I ever got and it's been my favourite since day one. It's just the most perfect no brainer lipstick for those times when you can't decide which lipstick to wear. It's a beautiful peachy pink "MLBB" colour with a bit of gold shimmer through it, although that shimmer isn't really noticeable on the lips - it just gives a nice shiny finish. 


Chanel Rouge Coco Shine - 54 Boy
If you can't already tell there's a bit of a theme going on here with lipsticks. This one is super similar to Patisserie, just slightly cooler toned and with less obvious shimmer. I use them both interchangeably, but this one tends to be my go-to on "no makeup makeup" days.

MAC Sheertone Blush - Peachykeen
I spoke about this in my Spring favourites post too. I had this blush sitting there unused for months because it looked so dark in the pan, however when I finally tried it I realised because it's so sheer (as the name suggests), it's super wearable and has a beautiful sheen to it. I love this blush for the warmer months because it makes the skin look luminous and glowy but still looks nice and natural for every day wear.

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation - Mont Blanc
I'm still yet to buy the full size of this foundation, however after using two samples of this it's safe to say that I love it. It's so easy to blend, has great coverage and the finish, depending on your skintype is somewhere between matte and dewy. One of the things I love most about this foundation is the fact that it photographs beautifully, and lasts well even on my oily skin. It's my go-to foundation for special occasions and I think it's a great alternative to Estee Lauder Double Wear if you find that one a bit too heavy or matte for your liking. 

Beauty Blender
I mentioned how much I love this in my Sydney Sephora Haul post - something about the texture of the Beauty Blender somehow makes it better than any other blending sponge out there. Before I tried it I never believed that a sponge could be worth $27, but it seriously is. The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge runs a close second, however nothing quite compares to the good old Original Beauty Blender. 

Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer - Medium/Deep
Although Benefit's Hoola bronzer is my all time favourite, throughout 2016 I found myself using the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil almost every day. It's a beautiful matte bronzer, slightly warmer than Hoola and almost equally blendable. It has the added bonus of smelling (and tasting) like chocolate, so if you're looking for a new bronzer to try, I'd highly recommend giving this one a try. 

Maybelline Colour Tattoo - Bad to the Bronze
My Maybelline Colour Tattoos are one of those products that I love but always forget to use. It wasn't until my friend pointed out what a good dupe this particular shade is to By Terry's Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon that I started using mine again. It's such a great shade to just throw on the lid and blend out when you can't be bothered thinking about what makeup to do, and it makes shimmery bronze/brown eyeshadows pop so much if you use it as a base underneath.


Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette
It was a close call between this palette and my Tartelette palette, but I chose this one because it's just a bit more versatile.  This is the palette I always find myself throwing in my makeup bag when I need to do my makeup later, because I know it won't let me down. You can literally get any look - day or night - from this palette, the matte brown shades are good for brows and I love using the "Silk Teddy" shade as a face highlight.


Maybelline ColorDrama Pencil - Nude Perfection
The name of this shade is absolutely spot on - it's the absolute perfect nude shade, suitable for a range of skintones. This is definitely the lipstick I reach for most often because not only is the colour so perfect for any occasion, but the texture is great and it's really long lasting. I have swatches comparing it to two MAC favourites - Kinda Sexy and Velvet Teddy on my Instagram (moment of silence for how nice my nails used to be). 


Urban Decay Primer Potion
I've tried several other eyeshadow bases/primers and nothing compares to the way this performs. With every other primer my eyelids get oily, but with this I've literally fallen asleep with my makeup on and woken up with my eyeshadow still perfect. If your eyelids are super oily and you haven't found anything that works, try this - you won't regret it. 


Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz - Chocolate 
Another star of my Sydney Sephora Haul post, this brow pencil absolutely lives up to the hype. The tiny little nib makes it easy to get precise brows and the texture of the pencil is perfect. I prefer eyebrow pencils that aren't too soft because it's easier to control and the finish is more natural. The spoolie is amazing for really getting in there and brushing out the brows, but my only complaint is the fact that my spoolie snapped off after about 2 months. 


Essence Long Lasting Eye Pencil - 02 Hot Chocolate
It feels like I mention this in every second blog post I write, but I literally use this pencil every single day I wear makeup. I'm not a big fan of black pencil on the waterline or lower lashline on myself because I feel like it's too harsh, so this is perfect for daily use. My go-to eye look is a brown smokey eye which pairs perfectly with this pencil. 

So that's basically it for my 2015 favourites - I hope you guys enjoyed. 

Thank you so much to everyone who's supported me throughout the past year, with makeup and with other aspects of my life. Wishing everyone all the best for the coming year.

All my love,

Cara



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cara Jade Makeup © 2014