Monday 23 March 2015

Shu Uemura vs Shiseido Lash Curlers | Compare the Pair

Monday 23 March 2015

We all know the Shu Uemura is the cult favourite when it comes to eyelash curlers, however I'm personally not the hugest fan of it. That's not to say it doesn't do a decent job (because it does), however it's just not my favourite. In this post I'll be comparing my personal favourite (by Shiseido) to the classic cult favourite (Shu Uemura). 




Already from the side-by-side photo you can see that the curlers are shaped quite differently. The Shu Uemura (left) is shorter and has march sharper bends and curves in the handle than the Shiseido (right). You can see already that the Shu Uemura one is far more curved on the top part than the Shiseido one which is relatively flat. 

So here are some bird's eye views to give you an idea of how curved each one is. It's pretty clear the Shu Uemura one has a much deeper curve, making it far more suited to round, deep set eyes, and much more prone to pinching. I find that I personally have a huge problem with the Shu Uemura curler pinching the skin on the outside corner of my eyes, and I've heard similar things on other blogs. 



Another big issue I have with the Shu Uemura curler (which is actually contrary to what I've heard from others) is the fact that I find it very difficult to get all of my eyelashes into it in one go. I think that issue could be owing to the fact the Shu Uemura one doesn't open quite as wide as the Shiseido.. As you can see the gap in the Shiseido one is significantly wider than the Shu Uemura, allowing a lot more space to ensure every eyelash fits. 



I also find that the Shisiedo one is a lot more comfortable to hold, and I love the gun metal colour - however I have had issues in the past with the paint rubbing off, after several years of use though so I don't see it to be a huge issue. To be fair, the Shu Uemura curler does do a wonderful job of curling your eyelashes and I think the curl may potentially last longer than with the Shiseido curler, however I don't find this a good enough reason to justify the other difficulties I have with it.

Shu Uemura
Pros:
  • Gives a very defined curl
  • Works well on round eyes
Cons:
  • Difficult to fit all eyelashes in one go - may require curling several times
  • Pinches eyelids
  • Curl can sometimes seem a bit "crimpy"
  • Slightly more expensive ($29)

Shisiedo
Pros:
  • Fits all eyelashes in one go 
  • Suits all eye shapes
  • Does not pinch at all
  • Provides a more natural curl
  • Slightly cheaper ($25)
Cons:
  • Curl is slightly less defined and may not be quite as long lasting

In summary, I'd say the Shu Uemura one may work for you if your eyes are very round and deep set and wide, however the Shisiedo one is perfect for flat, hooded and monolid eyes, and works on any other eyes shape as well. For this reason in particular I'd say the Shiseido curler is a much safer choice if you've never tried either of them before, because it's extremely unlikely you'll have any problems with it. 

It's a winner! (photo credit http://www.charmedcharlee.com/)


Thanks for reading guys, I hope this helped!

Until next time...
Cara xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cara Jade Makeup © 2014